Case filed at Civil Court to null presidential decree on ‘India Out’ campaign


Main opposition party, Progressive Party of Maldives (PPM) has filed a case at Civil Court to nullify the decree issued by President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih last week declaring the ‘India Out’ campaign as a threat to national security.

In the case filed PPM’s legal team – they had requested to dismiss the President’s decree citing it to be unlawful.

In the presidential decree titled ‘Stopping Planned Activities to Incite Hatred Towards Specific Countries Under Various Slogans’ which was gazetted on last Wednesday, it was stressed that the National Security Council had decided the ‘India Out’ campaign posed a threat to national security.

The decree also read that political campaigns targeting a specific country posed a threat to national security.

President Solih, in the decree, also said the ‘India Out’ campaign put Maldives at risk of loss of peace and stability, huge economic and social burden, and isolation in the international arena.

He said that failure to save Maldives from the danger could lead to irrevocable losses, and make it difficult to maintain Maldives’ independence, and ascertain the safety of Maldivians living or visiting overseas, and foreigners in Maldives.

Citing these reasons, President Solih had ordered to stop ‘India Out’ activities and instructed all government authorities to enforce this.

Prior to the issuance of the decree, police issued a statement on Wednesday, ordering the removal of all ‘India Out’ banners hanging from buildings in the capital.

Police stormed the opposition PPM headquarters and the residence of opposition leader, former president Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom on Thursday to remove ‘India Out’ banners hanging from the buildings.